Wednesday 24 August 2016

Bucket lists

I have to say I always thought the idea of a bucket list was quite naff. While I'm sure swimming with dolphins is an exhilarating experience - and I'd do it myself if I wasn't sure I'd mistake them for sharks - it seems a bit of a twatty thing to wish for as a girl from Lancashire.

That said, I know you don't have to wish for twatty things, or even anything totally beyond the realms of possibility (if you have the funds to cross world travel off your list, power to you). For example, I want to go to the ballet. Blame it on my love of dance, blame it on Noel Streatfeild, I anticipate the choreography, the strength - and goddamn it, the costumes - giving me a girlish thrill. So I'm starting my own bucket list. It's a bit meagre and it's unlikely to be original, but when days are grey, it brightens me to think of the time I have ahead and the ongoing potential to be amazed and excited by something new. Incident is one of the Six Psychological Hungers, you know.

  1. Visit Canada
  2. Go to all the Nordic countries
  3. Travel on the Orient Express
  4. Fly in a hot air balloon
  5. Take part in a Murder Mystery weekend
  6. Go to the ballet (especially Swan Lake)
  7. Get a tattoo
  8. See a play at The Globe, London
  9. Learn to ride a horse
  10. Go on a Rhine wine-tasting cruise
  11. Read The Forsyte Saga
  12. Run a marathon
  13. Take part in a dance competition
  14. Study psychology
  15. Learn to play poker
  16. Make a change politically in my local community
  17. Stay in the Ice Hotel
  18. Book a personal stylist session
  19. Re-learn the cello
  20. Learn to crochet
  21. Learn some basic sign language [24TH AUG]
  22. Buy something from Marni
  23. See Othello and Cymbeline live
  24. Stand on the Cobb in Lyme Regis
  25. Direct a Shakespeare play
  26. Rent a cottage in the Scottish Highlands over New Year

No comments:

Post a Comment